Google Translation (GT), released in April 2006, is a statistical machine translation engine that uses UN and European Parliament documents as language databases. In the process of document translation to Chinese, it will find a fixed language pattern in these documents and choose the best translation scheme. Today, Google Translation has been able to handle more than 100 languages. Not only that, it can also handle the translation of picture files, voice files and real-time videos, covering 37, 32 and 27 languages respectively. The function of this automatic translation engine is really amazing, although there are still some deficiencies.
It can help you determine the direction and reduce the trouble when you travel abroad. However, when your clients need to translate confidential documents or creative documents, the situation is different-without a professional interpreter's subtle grasp of the content and accurate understanding of the original language, Google Machine Translation is easily troubled. If the materials to be translated include legal contracts, financial reports, compliance training materials, medical documents, medical test reports or global promotional videos, Google translation cannot meet your quality requirements.
It is not difficult to understand that some companies will use free Google translation instead of professional translation companies for the sake of cost savings. Although Google collects translated data. However, if the documents to be translated involve key confidential information, Google translation becomes dangerous.
Six Reasons for Not Using Google Translation
1. Although machine translation saves time and money, when the materials to be translated are more important, especially confidential documents and creative documents, it is very difficult to obtain satisfactory results using this free translation service platform. Only by choosing a professional translation company can it be ensured that the contents of its documents will not be disclosed during the translation process.
2. There are many loopholes in machine learning and machine translation. Although Google Translate now uses the model of machine learning and volunteer manual assistance to improve translation quality, its accuracy is far from enough. However, the procedural quality inspection procedures of the translation company can effectively ensure the high quality of the translation.
3. As the Guardian said, if the English translation of "Ipanema Girl" is automatically translated by Google, Frank sinatra will sing like this: "The girl in the golden body, the sunshine of Ipanema, is more unstable than a poem." Such lyrics are obviously meaningless. For works such as literature, music and poetry, word-for-word translation is bound to fail to express its original flavor and artistic conception, so machine translation cannot handle such documents in the short term.
4. If the translation is very accurate, using Google Translation to translate the translation into the source language cannot effectively check the translation.
5. To use Google Translation, you need to be online all the time.
6. Interpreters usually do not choose to use Google Translation for interpreting translation services , because that means they need to input all the contents spoken by the speakers in the meeting into Google Translation and make sure that the input is correct before Google can start translation. This is both time-consuming and inefficient, and the translation is not necessarily accurate.
With more and more people doing post-translation processing and the increase in the number of databases covered by the translation engine itself, the accuracy of machine translation is bound to gradually increase, but machines are still not sure about the uniqueness and nuances of language. Machines have no sense of humor and cannot find the most appropriate words for a particular text.
Although the improvement of technology makes our translation methods more diversified, as far as the present situation is concerned, the traditional translation industry is still a relatively safe way. Machine translation is unable to translate cultural values, which is indeed of vital importance to many enterprises. They all strive to reach the target readers in the most extreme and natural way possible.
Inschina has been assisting foreign companies with setting up and managing local Chinese business in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Chongqing. Our local China experts, some of whom have more than 14 years experience in dealing with foreign companies doing business in China, are fluent in English and Chinese and specialize the disciplines you need. And they are also skilled in document translation to chinese and interpreting translation services.